Thursday 29 January 2009

Keeping an open mind

Although I absolutely love creating traditional teddy bears, I can't lay claim to being a complete traditionalist because I do love to blend colour, rather than restrict my creative outlook by relying on classic gold based teddy bear colours and typical black noses. Currently I'm working on two 20" bears for 'The Winter Bearfest' show, to be held at Kensington Town Hall on 22nd February, both of which will be of classic teddy proportion, but they will also indulge in a little contemporary colourway to satisfy my need to create contemporary classics. The black and off-white alpaca I received recently could have been perfect for a classic panda bear, but I wanted a Paula panda twist, something stylish and striking for my show table; so rather than restrain this bear with reality, my panda bear will incorporate a few spicy red highlights!

My spicy panda twist for 2009!

That said, I certainly don't want to leave tradition behind, because I really do love making traditional bears! So my other bear, whilst classically centre-seamed and of typical English teddy bear proportion, will incorporate my contemporary 'appley' head shaping and a modern palette of soft blues and greys to give him freshness of appeal, whilst retaining a respectful nod to tradition.

Crafting a modern palette of soft blues and greys ...

Artist designed teddy bears are created across a broad spectrum; at one end they take inspiration from a classical history and at the other from wildly creative imagination. There are bears for all tastes and all seasons, each with a rightful place in the artist bear portfolio. If you are new to collecting teddy bears you may be searching for a traditional teddy bear, to remind you of the nostalgia of childhood, but please, keep an open mind and take time to view as many bear artists' catalogues as possible, because only then will you begin to see the creative potential a modern day teddy bear offers. Who knows, you may even surprise yourself by falling in love with a style of bear hitherto unconsidered!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Paula, that blue is gorgeous and that cardigan is too!

    I've been thinking of making my first coloured bear, which I'm looking forward to. It's so nice to be able to move away from brown now and again as there's such a myriad of colours out there to choose from.

    Hugs, Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula! I've given you the very well deserved "Works of Heart" award! http://fortheloveofteddy.blogspot.com/2009/01/works-of-heart.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made what are very modern, baby eyed type bears but then ditstressed them slightly to give an aged look. Should not work at all to combine the two, but I think it does! Its the two sides in my head, as Harry Hill would say 'But which is better? vintage look or modern? There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!'

    So I love the two sides Paula, it works brilliantly, soft spot for the old pandas......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to see my award is going forth! I like your site as well, I was looking at it tonight.

    Hugs, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your panda will be stunning Paula, as are all your bears!
    Hope to see you at Hugglets.
    Regards,
    Lynda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear from you all and Daphne, thank you so much! That's really kind of you and I'm smiling as I type this!

    Spicy Panda update: he's completed now and almost ready for his debut on my website! So I hope you'll watch this space!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Polite Request

Copyright: All Bear by Paula Carter 2019



I hope you enjoy sharing my blog and politely request that you do not copy either text or photographs without my permission.



Thank you.