Thursday 17 January 2019

Practically Perfect in every way

For me, one of the most magical things about being a child of the 60's, was growing up with 'Mary Poppins' on film, sitting glued to Bert's chimney sweeps, as they belted out 'Chim chim cheree' whilst twirling across London's rooftops, laughing and singing with Jane, Michael, Bert and Mary Poppins, as they levitated to the ceiling to join Uncle Albert for an 'I love to laugh' tea party and having my little girl heartstrings tugged by the elderly lady, who every day warbled 'Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,' on the steps of St Paul's Cathedral.

I was inspired to try a little sketch!

 I don't mind admitting, I have been a die hard Mary Poppins fan all my life and of course, brought my children up watching it too, so to be honest, I was sceptical that a modern day 'Mary Poppins Returns' could possibly live up to my devoted childhood expectation ... but thankfully, I couldn't have been more wrong!

My daughter, daughter-in-law (both in their thirties) and I, went to watch the new film on the Big Screen last week and were completely swept along, as the new 'Practically perfect Mary Poppins' brought back a world of wonderment and laughter to Cherry Tree Lane, more than half a century after the wind last changed...

I can happily report we all agreed it was every bit as joyful to watch Jack's lamplighters 'Trip the light fantastic', as it had been to see Bert's chimney sweeps dancing across the rooftops all those years ago, it was a delight to enter Topsy's laughter filled upside down life and an absolute breath of fresh air to see London cast in such a spectacularly magical light.

And the new Mary Poppins herself? Well, she has a slightly more mischievous twinkle to her eye perhaps, but there can be no doubting she is exactly who she claims to be ... Mary Poppins has indeed returned!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Polite Request

Copyright: All Bear by Paula Carter 2019



I hope you enjoy sharing my blog and politely request that you do not copy either text or photographs without my permission.



Thank you.