Monday 1 October 2012

Start Simple ...

There's no doubt it takes many years of trial and error to become truly proficient at making an heirloom quality teddy bear.  There are many techniques to master, but I believe that with patience and determination, anyone can learn how to make a teddy bear.  When I made my very first teddy bear, I had no idea how the pieces of a bear fitted together and didn't understand how a jointed teddy bear's limbs worked, so I bought a child's kit from the local toy shop and spent hours hand stitching a very simple bear with plastic safety joints.

Orange Blob Bear - a child's toy teddy bear making kit

'Orange Blob Bear' was the very first bear I ever made twenty five years or so ago and  I remember being very pleased with myself because he looked just like the bear on the kit cover.  Back then, that was satisfaction enough.

Ivor - a mohair kit bear

But after 'Orange Blog Bear', the bear-making bug bit me and I wanted to make what I thought of as 'a proper bear'.  My next project was a mohair kit bear purchased from a teddy bear show.  I called this bear 'Ivor' and strategically placed a tartan bow to disguise the fact he had one arm placed quite a bit higher than the other!

Pomeroy - one of my earliest designs

I loved the fact Ivor was mohair with jointed limbs and glass eyes - at the time he seemed a huge improvement on my previous synthetic orange teddy bear kit and he inspired me to start trying to design my own patterns ... slowly but surely, large traditional teddy bears with big feet and floppy ears began to come to emerge from the old Singer sewing machine my mother-in-law had given me.

'The Biscuit Bears' - one of my favourite 2010 collections

Since those very early bear-making steps, I have designed well over a thousand teddy bears and with each year that has passed, my bear-making skills have developed ...

'Bellamy' - a 22" bear I designed for a collector

So whenever I'm asked today how I make the bears look the way they do, I can only answer, 'it comes with years and years of practise'!  I just started simply and kept taking small creative steps forward ...

'Twiggy'

This weekend I designed a simple soft toy owl from cotton fabrics and felt. Now 'Twiggy' has been completed, ideas for developing my simple softie are starting to emerge ... 

So my advice to anyone hoping to create a masterpiece, is 'start simple and allow your creativity to emerge a step at a time'.  After all, what's the hurry?!

5 comments:

  1. I enjoying reading this Paula, you are an inspiration to me! I love all your bears! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely bears - Your first bear reminds me a lot of my Mike's Pedigree bear. Bellamy is gorgeous and your owl has a lot of charm. I'll bet you've seen so many changes in the bear scene over the last quarter century...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm you sister and I never knew your simple beginnings lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula, What a great post. It is exactly where I started and many, many more people. The only things different is I didn't make mohair bears for a little while longer, PLUS I haven't got to your standard yet. I'm still trying.
    It made me think we should all post our first bears. I thought mine was terrific....xxx*** Well you should see it. I must have needed better glasses. It helps to look now and then because it shows us how much we have improved.
    Big Hugs
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Paula - your post echoes the stories of many of us, and we're all still learning and growing in this lovely craft.
    Hugs,
    Kayzy

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Polite Request

Copyright: All Bear by Paula Carter 2019



I hope you enjoy sharing my blog and politely request that you do not copy either text or photographs without my permission.



Thank you.