Saturday 27 September 2008

My Autumn Storm

After creating several smaller, colourful bears, I've been feeling the urge to get back to my big 'uns and have been itching to create a big, dramatic bear again. I love making the big bears at this time of year because there is so much seasonal inspiration to take advantage of!

My Autumn 'Storm'!

I took my time over this guy during the week because I've had so many other tasks to complete, but also because I've been feeling a wee bit under the weather, nonetheless, I got there in the end and now that I have, I am so happy with him!

22" 'Storm', available now at www.allbear.co.uk

The mohair is stunning, a top-end piece of Schulte with a dense charcoal grey undercoat and beautiful frosted tips. I saw it at the Hugglets show and couldn't resist bringing it home with me, knowing it would make a magnificent bear. It took me a while to decide how I would use the fabric, but eventually I decided to complement it with subtle shades of olive green; so I've hand painted his eyes green with tiny gold flecks and airbrushed his wool felt paw pads to bring him to life. I have opted for an olive grey nose thread, which I think, lifts the dark backing of the trimmed mohair muzzle beautifully. Then to finish his detailing, I selected a gorgeous piece of hand-dyed silk ribbon in shades of olive green and tied a simple, yet dramatic, bow around his neck.

Storm's pure German wool felt paw pads, subtlely shaded

I just wish I had my sister Tina handy this week to help with the photography! I've done my best, but found it a bit of a struggle to cope with the dark fabric backing and pale tipping ... I could definitely have done with some professional photographic advice for such a challenging colourway.

Profile shot

I have made Storm available direct from my website from today, as one of the last couple of website bears I'll be able to create, before I set my website work aside and start work the 'Ho Ho Oh Bearz' online show bears for November's event. I have a yen to work on some more handsome big bears right now which is probably madness in light of the depressing 'credit crunch' news featured on TV every day, but nonetheless a bear maker's gotta do, what a bear maker's gotta do eh?!

Update: 28/09/08 Storm has now sold and will be moving to the US!

3 comments:

  1. What a great strong profile he has ...and how I love that face....

    mmmm....I can just about feel the velvety softness of the mohair....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bear is fabulous Paula, I really love him

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you like Storm! I love this mohair, it's beautiful! Much as I enjoy making the Half Pints, the big 'uns are definitely my thing.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Polite Request

Copyright: All Bear by Paula Carter 2019



I hope you enjoy sharing my blog and politely request that you do not copy either text or photographs without my permission.



Thank you.